When I planned my training and build up to the Hardmoors 110 race I was really keen to get on the route for 2 days and cover the final 70 miles or so of the route. My good friend Dave Troman who is also doing the HM 110 was keen to join me so we were able to find a couple of days that suited us both.
I drove down to Keswick on Sunday afternoon and then Dave, Tracey and I drove over to North Yorks where we were staying with friends of Dave and Tracey. As a bonus the house has a TV projector so Dave and watched the final round of the Masters in great style!
The plan for the 2 days was ….
- Monday 14th April Kildale to Whitby (36miles)
- Tuesday 15th April Whitby to Filey (34miles)
For these two days I had a few key aims …
- To get 70 miles of running in my legs over the two days. This was my big week between the HM55 and the HM 110 races.
- To recce the route carefully. I have done the race once before in 2009 but I can’t really remember much of the second half of the route. I was struggling big time from Ravenscar onwards and had my head down most of the way!!
- To work out my mini-splits. I like to break down the route into bite sized sections of between 2-4 miles so I was going to work out where they are going to be.
- To take lots of photos and enjoy the views as on race day a lot of the seecond half of the route will be in the dark.
- To rid my mind of lots of negative thoughts I have about the second half of the route and replace them with lots of positive thoughts to inspire me for the race!!
We had superb weather over both days and I can safely say that all my aims were fulfilled. I thought it stead of my normal written report I would post some of the many photos we took over the 2 days to give you a feel of the trip.
Setting off at 8.45am from Kildale ….
View of Roseberry Topping from Cook Monument ….
Approaching Roseberry Topping ….
Running along the cliff tops ….
Day 2 starting at Whitby ….
Whitby Abbey looking spectacular ….
Final push to Filey ….
The route from Filey Brigg goes along the Promenade to the far side of Filey ….
End of Day 2 – 34.8 miles. Thanks for a great run Dave!
Splits from the 2 days ….
Dave has also done an excellent video of our run ….