Fun weekend

We’ve had a fun weekend so far. On Friday I received a letter from the RAH saying that my heart echo test was fine and that my heart is pumping well!


Hopefully I won’t have to wait long for the result of the 24 hour ECG. I would love to get read the report. It’s not often that you get your heard checked over so it would be really interesting to see what it said.

On Friday night we had a get together with the group from Kilbarchan who run on a Monday night. We thought it would be good to have some regular evenings where we can meet and share together.

For our first one we invited Scottish super star Hayley Haining, who is a member of Kilbarchan and trains with us, to share her tips of training and running a marathon.


It was an excellent evening and Hayley shared lots of great tips and lessons from her international career. I recorded her talk for those of our group who couldn’t make it.

If you are interested you can listen to it here.

On Saturday morning I was up and out by 8.30am for a run on the Gleniffer Braes. I checked on my training diary and realised I hadn’t run up there since August!

I had a feeling it was going to be tough and it was! Since running the White Rose Ultra on Sunday 1st November 2015 I deliberately had a break from longer off road runs and enjoyed some shorter faster races and runs.

I had planned to start my off road running again at the beginning of January but my ‘collapse’ put paid to that.

So I feel I’m quite a few weeks behind where I would like to be but I’m determined to build up gradually. Plus my ribs are still sore and the further a run goes on the more I feel them.

I’m planning on joining the West Highland Way training run next Saturday which will be 30 miles so I was keen to run 15 miles to get me going again.

I did my normal loop and then added another smaller loop of 4 miles or so.

route 01-23

The weather was very mild and I ran in a long sleeved top. I wore gloves for most of the way as it was a bit windy on the tops.

01-23 braes 2

I felt okay for the first couple of hours but last hour was hard work. My legs were struggling and my ribs were really hurting especially if I jumped a bit and jarred them.

01-23 braes1

I must admit I was very glad to get home and into a hot shower. I feel I’m a long way from where I want to be but I know I’ll get there if I continue on a steady increase. I think I’ll feel so much better when my ribs are healed fully.

On Saturday night Katrina and I drive to Crieff to be part of a group of friends who were going to surprise our friend Ian Beattie on his 50th birthday. Sandra had organised for us to meet in the Caledonian Bar and she brought Ian in for a drink and we were all there singing Happy Birthday! It was good fun.

It was great to catch up with lots of friends. I met a few people who faithfully follow this blog or the whw race podcasts I do so that was a bonus.



This entry was posted in Gleniffer Braes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s