This weekend I’m looking forward to heading down to Wales to do a recce of Day 3 of the Dragon’s Back Course with my friend Andy.
The plan is as follows
- Friday after work – Drive down to Dolgellau. Andy has booked a room at the Youth Hostel Kings at Islawrdref.
- Saturday – 7.15am Drive two cars to Machynllech, leave one car and drive back to Dolgellau to start the run.
- Saturday – 8.30am Run from Dolgellau to Machynllech (27 miles in around 9hrs)
- Saturday – 5.30pm Drive back to Dolgellau to pick up car and then to the Hostel.
- Sunday – 7.15am Drive two cars to Ceredigion, leave one car and drive to Machynllech to start the run.
- Sunday – 8.30am Run from Machynllech to Ceredigion (17 miles in around 4.5hrs)
- Sunday – 1pm Drive back to Machynllech and then home.
Andy reckons the going underfoot, apart from a few sections, is far easier than Days 1 & 2. There are some steep grassy climbs so I’ll be taking my poles to help.
Once I’ve done this weekend I will have covered Days 1-3. My plan is to recce Days 4 & 5 over 3 days in April with Andy. So by the time the race starts on Monday 20th May 2019 I will have covered the whole course.